[ACT-R-users] Baseline activation strengthening and decay

Kelley, Troy (Civ,ARL/HRED) tkelley at arl.army.mil
Thu Feb 16 09:10:02 EST 2006

That is a good question.

I think many times as modelers, we need to make some assumptions about
what is happening in the CONTEXT of the overall task.  So, in your
example, if you see a fixation for 1500ms, you need to make some
assumptions about what is happening in relationship to the overall task.
Does that fixation represent some critical moment in the flow of the
problem space?  Those assumptions would then guide your retrievals or
any other productions that may or may not also include retrievals.  So,
in other words, let your knowledge of the task and problem space guide
your assumptions about what is going on during the 1500ms.

Troy Kelley

Army Research Laboratory

Human Research and Engineering Directorate

AMSRD-ARL-HR-SE

APG, MD, 21005-5425

voice: 410-278-5859

fax: 410-278-9523