[ACT-R-users] Baseline activation strengthening and decay

ben.willems at faa.gov ben.willems at faa.gov
Wed Feb 15 22:30:37 EST 2006

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am working on the other side of the
cognitive modelers.  That is, I run simulations using human experts in Air
Traffic Control and create records of human activity quite similar to what
you call a simulation trace.  Ignoring for a moment that the visual system
may be able to process several things within the foveal area
simultaneously, how would you interpret a single 1500msec fixation on an
object in terms of number of retrievals?  Does that include a single
retrieval or does it involve cyclic retrievals with a time constant of
50msec for the retrieval and another 50msec to push the chunk to the goal
stack?  Or do you assume that initially there is a retrieval followed by
maintaining activation at a faster cycle time?  Do you assume that
activation strengthening occurs independent of the perceptual or motor
event that triggers activation of the chunk?  E.g., seeing an aircraft
representation vs. listening to a reference to an aircraft or typing in an
identifier for that aircraft.

Ben Willems
Engineering Research Psychologist
William J. Hughes Technical Center
NAS Human Factors Group (ACB-220)
Building 28
Atlantic City International Airport, NJ 08405
USA
Phone:  609-485-4191
Fax:  609-485-6218
E-mail: Ben.Willems at faa.gov