[ACT-R-users] Post-doctoral position available

Professor Ron Sun rsun at rpi.edu
Fri Jun 10 14:11:54 EDT 2005

I am looking for a post-doctoral researcher, to join in a basic
research project investigating cognitive modeling, cognitive
architectures, and human skill learning.

The starting date is September 1, 2005 (although a slight delay,
say by a couple of months, is also possible). This will be a full-time
research position, with the expectation that you devote all your
time to project-related research work (not your own research
topics).

Prospective applicants should have a finished Ph.D degree before
starting, by September 1, 2005 (or shortly thereafter).  They should
have a strong background in computer science (the equivalent of a
BS in computer science), with strong Java programming skills,
and have prior exposure to psychology and
cognitive science (with background in human and machine learning,
motivation, and meta-cognition preferred), and other related areas.

Prospective applicants with interests in cognitive science should
apply by EMAILing  me: (1) a complete vitae, and (2) samples of best
prior writings (especially published papers), and also FAX me
(3) GRE/TOEFL scores (if available),  and other pertinent information.
Make sure to also
FAX me (4) copies of all transcripts of all the BS, MS, Ph.D programs
you previously attended.  Also FAX me (5) the reference letters (if
available).

RPI is a top-tier research university.  The new CogSci department
has identified research as its primary missions. The department is
conducting research in a number of areas:   cognitive architectures,
cognitive modeling, human and machine learning, multi-agent
interactions and social simulation, neural networks and connectionist
models,  human and machine reasoning, cognitive engineering,
perception and motor control, and so on.

See the Web page below regarding my own research (in the afore-described
area and in other areas):
   http://www.cogsci.rpi.edu/~rsun

Two sample publications are downloadable from my Web site:
   R. Sun, P. Slusarz, and C. Terry, The interaction of the explicit
   and the implicit in skill learning: A dual-process approach.
   Psychological Review, Vol.112, No.1, pp.159-192. 2005.
   http://www.cogsci.rpi.edu/~rsun/sun-pr2005-f.pdf

   R. Sun, E. Merrill, and T. Peterson, From implicit skills to
   explicit knowledge: A bottom-up model of skill learning. Cognitive
   Science, Vol.25, No.2, pp.203-244. 2001.
   http://www.cogsci.rpi.edu/~rsun/sun.cs01.pdf

Apply as soon as possible.  Completed applications will be considered
as they come in, until the position is filled.

Professor Ron Sun
Cognitive Science Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 Eighth Street, Carnegie 302A