[ACT-R-users] similarity

Wai-Tat Fu wfu at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 17 16:02:54 EDT 2005

Just want to add to Pete and Ayman's point about the use of PMI as Sji
values in ACT-R. From that perspective, spreading activation will calculate
the weighted sum of these PMI/Sji values with respect to your active goal.
It is seldom the case that you have only one slot in your goal. In Ayman's
example, if you have "apple", "Steve jobs", or "bay area" as slots in your
goal, MAC will likely to be more active than fruits. This is similar to the
use of multiple keywords when you google for some information on the web.

Just as an example, I know that a number of HCI studies (e.g., menu search)
used questionnaires to get subjective ratings as a measure of semantic
relevance for their model. I think the tool will be very useful for this
kind of research.

--On Friday, June 17, 2005 10:18 AM -0700 Ayman Farahat <farahat at parc.com>