[SPAM: 3.266] [ACT-R-users] Subsymbolic in ACT-R 5.0

Glenn.Gunzelmann at mesa.afmc.af.mil Glenn.Gunzelmann at mesa.afmc.af.mil
Tue Sep 28 12:53:15 EDT 2004

I actually think that the sentence in the abstract gives you a relatively
straightforward answer to the question:

"Subsymbolic processes serve to guide the selection of rules to fire as well
as the internal operations of some modules."

So, there is a component of the figure that refers to the selection of
production rules, a process that depends on subsymbolic values and
computations... score one for those who say it represented in the Basal
Ganglia (specifically the Pallidum).*

*Do note, however, that the subsymbolic layer is not represented by the
production rules, rather the subsymbolic layer is the set of processes that
determine which production rule is executed on a give cycle.

On the other hand, there is another set of subsymbolic values and processes
that operate within the modules. For instance, there is a subsymbolic
component to the declarative module that controls (1) which chunk is
retrieved from declarative memory when a particular request is made and (2)
how long that retrieval will take to execute... score one for those who say
it is not represented in the figure.**

**Although, if one really wanted it to be there, there is a sense in which
the arrows connecting the buffers to the modules represent *some* of these
processes. There are others, however, that are really internal to the
particular modules.

-Glenn