[ACT-R-users] Ph.D. Program at RPI

Nick Cassimatis cassin at rpi.edu
Tue Nov 23 01:37:52 EST 2004

I am looking for a graduate student to begin in fall 2005.  My
research is in cognitive architectures that explain how the mind
integrates multiple cognitive processes and structures to behave
intelligently.  Typical projects have included a model of physical
reasoning, putting this model on a robot to resolves the tensions
between reasoning and flexible robot behavior, and a model of sentence
parsing based on the mechanisms of the physical reasoning model.

Students who work with me will have at least some background in
cognitive modeling or computer programming and an interest in
understanding human intelligence and/or creating intelligent systems.

RPI is a top-tier research university.  The Cognitive Science
department has identified the PhD program and research as its primary
missions.  The department is conducting research in a number of areas:
cognitive modeling, human and machine learning, multi-agent
interactions and social simulation, neural networks and connectionist
models, human and machine reasoning, cognitive engineering, etc.

RPI is located in historic Troy NY, in the Hudson River Valley,
approximately 5 miles N of Albany, NY. It is 3-hrs south of Montreal,
2.5-hrs west of Boston, and 2-hrs north of New York City, to which
Amtrak runs on high-speed track that should soon shorten the trip even
further. The Albany area is notable for many things, including its
affordable housing, cultural events (e.g., the famed Saratoga
Performing Arts Center), and proximity to outdoor recreation (e.g.,
hiking/skiing in the Adirondack, White, Green, and Berkshire
Mountains).

For the application procedure, see
   http://www.cogsci.rpi.edu/
The application deadline is Jan.15, 2005.

If you decide to apply, let me know by sending a short email to
cassin at rpi.edu.

-Nick Cassimatis