[ACT-R-users] (no subject)

Hedderik van Rijn hedderik at van-rijn.org
Mon Feb 23 12:28:13 EST 2004

Adrian,

[Partly overlapping with Dan's answer:]

at last year's workshop, we presented a session on model fitting. You
might want to have a look at the slides of those presentations, see
links under "Symposium 2" at:

   http://act-r.psy.cmu.edu/workshops/workshop-2003/schedule.html

I just noticed that my slides are not that readable. A version exported
to powerpoint format is available here:

   http://viropage.psy.cmu.edu/~rijn/vanrijn03-actrws-parscapes.ppt

> I have a quick newbie question which I wonder if anyone would be kind
> enough to help
> me out with. When fitting models to data it seems quite common to
> estimate one or two
> parameters in the model to maximise the fit; the fewer the better.
> What is the best or
> the conventional method for doing this? The online tutorials imply
> that the
> recommended approach is to try out different values until you get a
> good fit. But I'm
> concerned that with several parameters varying simultaneously I may
> not happen
> across the optimal fit.

Given sufficient time, one can probably find the best fitting
parameters by brute force, but most of the time, plugging in parameters
used in other/similar models gives a reasonably good fit to start out
with. For presentation purposes, scanning the regions around that
particular fit will probably yield a fit that is good enough to report.

Another issue is of course what defines an optimal fit. Obviously, a
"best fit" to a particular data set might not be the best fit for a
rerun of the experiment that provided the original data. Therefore, one
should probably aim for a set of parameter values that fits multiple,
similar data sets. An example of that is to first optimize a fit on an
existing data set - and than applying those parameters to a new data
set.

And about the theoretical motivations, it seems that not all parameters
are equal. It's generally considered OK to search for good fitting F
and f values in the latency equation, but most of the people in the
ACT-R community seem to stick to a decay (d) of .5 (but see the work
of, for example, Pavlik about different ways of approaching decay). In
similar fashion, modifying W as become a default method of modeling
certain individual differences - so searching for a good fitting W for
those differences is in a way motivated. It seems to be one of those
things that is part of the community's knowledge, but hard to describe
precisely. Going through ACT-R workshop presentations and the papers
reported at http://act-r.psy.cmu.edu/publications/ might be a good way
to get an idea for what is commonly done.

  - Hedderik.