[ACT-R-users] (no subject)

A.Banks at surrey.ac.uk A.Banks at surrey.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 05:01:56 EST 2004

I have a quick newbie question which I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to help
me out with. When fitting models to data it seems quite common to estimate one or two
parameters in the model to maximise the fit; the fewer the better. What is the best or
the conventional method for doing this? The online tutorials imply that the
recommended approach is to try out different values until you get a good fit. But I'm
concerned that with several parameters varying simultaneously I may not happen
across the optimal fit. Also, this doesn't seem particularly theoretically motivated. Is
there a better method?

Thanks very much,
Adrian