[ACT-R-users] Some elementar doubts...

Anthony Hornof hornof at cs.uoregon.edu
Tue Feb 3 04:04:06 EST 2004

Finding the "right" set of production rules is one of the challenges of
cognitive modeling with any production rule system.  One general
approach is to make your rules as parsimonious as possible and yet
still keep them psychologically plausible.  Cognitive architectures
such as ACT-R also generally have modeling policies that influence how
you should write your production rules, which influence how they will
perform.  An ACT-R policy, for example, is that you only put one thing
at a time in the goal buffer, and that you don't use it as a goal
stack.  (This may be enforced by the architecture now.  If not, it's a
policy.  Anyone, please correct me if I got any of that wrong.)

Much of learning how to use an architecture consists of learning these
policies.  They are usually somewhat distributed among tutorials,
documentation, and previous articles that have been written.

Another general approach to writing "accurate" production rules is to
write two sets of production rules that "bracket" the observed data,
where one end of the bracket is a slowest-reasonable strategy, the
other end is the fastest-plausible, and the observed data fall in
between, ideally even for individual participants.  The challenge then
is to use the interesting features in the data to figure out which
aspects of the two strategies were used by the participants, perhaps
even on a participant-by-participant basis.  Bracketing is discussed in:

Gray, W. D., & Boehm-Davis, D. A. (2000). Milliseconds matter: An
introduction to microstrategies and to their use in describing and
predicting interactive behavior. Journal of Experimental Psychology:
Applied, 6(4), 322-335.

Kieras, D. E., & Meyer, D. E. (2000). The role of cognitive task
analysis in the application of predictive models of human performance.
In J. M. C. Schraagen, S. E. Chipman, & V. L. Shalin (Eds.), Cognitive
task analysis. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.

Anthony Hornof
University of Oregon
http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/~hornof/