[ACT-R-users] Is learning possible without self-explanation?

Danielle S. McNamara d.mcnamara at mail.psyc.memphis.edu
Fri Mar 14 18:13:27 EST 2003

I would say that learning is possible without self explanation, if 1) the
material (text) conveying the information is cohesive (coherent) enough such
that the learner need not answer questions or generate knowledge-based
inferences while learning, AND, the learner has sufficient metacognitive
reading skills to actively process the information (defining active as the
process of linking the information to prior knowledge) without the cohesion
gaps to promote that active processing.  (I could expand on that if anyone
is interested.)
I would define self explanation (avoiding the word explain or explanation)
as the act of answering questions (for oneself) regarding the material to be
learned such as: Why does the author say that?; Why does that happen?; what
is this trying to say to me?; When does this happen?; How does this work?.
This can be accomplished silently if the learner has sufficient skills doing
so but generally it works best if it is done aloud.
I'd like to point out that there can be elaborations of material that are
not self explanations or explanations of the content.  For example, if the
text is about heart disease, I could elaborate that my uncle had a heart
attack, but that does not explain anything about the material.  A reader
might also paraphrase a sentence during the process of attempting to self
explain.  While a paraphrase may help the learner at a surface level to
better understand the sentence, it does not explain the sentence and will
most likely have little effect on deeper learning.  (Though, paraphrasing
for some learners may be a huge step in the right direction!)

Regarding the differentiation between SE, Scientific reasoning, and
Metacogntive behaviour, I would say the SE is a specific process of
answering questions regarding the material to be learned, and that this
process can be improved by better scientific reasoning skills (including the
knowledge of logic and science) and by better metacognitive skills.  For
example, we have found that SE is improved by teaching readers to use
metacognitive reading strategies such as making bridging inferences, making
knowledge-based or logic-based inferences, etc.
Some papers on this topic can be accessed on my web site, cited below
(follow reading strategies links).

Danielle S. McNamara, Ph.D.
202 Psychology Building
The University of Memphis	         (http://www.psyc.memphis.edu)