CfP CogSci2002

Wayne D Gray gray at gmu.edu
Thu Oct 25 21:58:45 EDT 2001

The 24th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society
(CogSci2002),  will be held August 8 - 10, 2002 (Thursday through
Saturday), at George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, USA.
(http://www.hfac.gmu.edu/~cogsci/). CogSci2002 is the annual meeting
of the premier society for basic and applied cognitive science
research. We encourage researchers from across the world to submit
their best work and to attend CogSci2002 to hear the latest theories
and data from the world's best cognitive science researchers.

******HIGHLIGHTS*****HIGHLIGHTS*****HIGHLIGHTS*****HIGHLIGHTS*******

This year, Prof. Richard Shiffrin will receive the $100,000 Rumelhart
Prize at the conference for his life achievements in quantitative
modeling of cognitive phenomena.

Plenary addresses will be given by Prof. Shiffrin (Indiana
University); Dr. Stuart Card (Information Sciences and Technologies
Laboratory, Xerox PARC), and Prof. David Woods (Cognitive Systems
Engineering Laboratory, The Ohio State University).

In addition to traditional submissions for Cognitive Science, this
year we are experimenting with a new submission category.

***********DEADLINES****DEADLINES****DEADLINES****DEADLINES**********

Feb 6 2002:  Six-page papers. Refereed papers for publication in
Proceedings. These  will be presented as traditional talks, as part
of a "targeted symposium topic" [see below], or as posters. The Marr
Prize for the best student paper will be selected from these
submissions.

Feb 6 2002: Packaged-Symposium. Proposals for complete 90-min
symposium, including organizer and participants - see website for
submission details

April 30 2002: Member Poster Abstracts. One-page to appear in
Proceedings, with Poster presented at the conference.

*** New Submission Category ***
Feb 11 2002: Publication-Based Submission. Traditional talk by
researchers with a track record of publishing on their topic.
Requires abstract-only plus list of relevant publications. See
website for submission details.

**TARGETED SYMPOSIUM TOPICS**TARGETED SYMPOSIUM TOPICS**
This year we are encouraging submissions based on three topics:

           Augmented Cognition
           Natural Language and Statistics
           Cognitive Science Applied to Early Education

Six-page papers or Publication-Based Submissions on these topics will
be packaged together in special Targeted Symposium paper or poster
sessions. See website for more details.

***********TUTORIALS****TUTORIALS****TUTORIALS****TUTORIALS****
As in prior years, we are encouraging submissions for one-day
tutorials to be given the day before CogSci-2002 officially starts;
Wednesday August 7th. See:
http://acs.ist.psu.edu/cogsci2002/tutorials.html for more information.

********STUDENT VOLUNTEERS****STUDENT VOLUNTEERS****
We are seeking some support for students from outside of George Mason
University to come to CogSci-2002 and work as student volunteers.
Interested students should see:
http://hfac.gmu.edu/~cogsci/studentvolunteers.html  for more
information.

--
CogSci2002--CogSci2002-CogSci2002-CogSci2002-CogSci2002
CogSci2002
CogSci2002 	cogsci at gmu.edu
CogSci2002
CogSci2002            http://hfac.gmu.edu/~cogsci/