architecture comparisons

Bonnie E. John bej at cs.cmu.edu
Mon May 7 07:49:33 EDT 2001

>Also of interest are papers that compare the features and/or predictions of
>two or more models created in different modeling architectures.
Kevin,

Yannick Lallement and I wrote a paper comparing an EPIC model with two Soar
models (one in the "released" version of Soar circa 1998 and one in an
"experimental" version of Soar that Ron Chong used).

Lallement, Y., & John, B. E. (1998)  Cognitive architecture and modeling
idiom: An examination of three models of the Wicken's task. Proceedings of
the Twentieth Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, August 1998.

Conclusions in that paper:

+ All three architectures were adequate to make close quantitative
predictions of a dual-task.

+ The "idiom" was as important as the architecture (where "idiom" is a
"programming style" within an architecture).

+ Parallelism in cognition didn't matter because the time to perform the
task was limited but the actions of the perceptual and motor peripherals.

+ I'm not sure you can actually find a task that differentiates between
these cognitive architectures on performance time measures, because fast
ones with little thinking will be dominated by the peripherals, and slower
ones with a lot of thinking will be subject to individual differences in
task strategies and prior knowledge.  (I didn't say it in that paper, but I
think we'll have to go to learning to differentiate between these
architectures, but of course that leaves out EPIC, and that's REALLY hard
to do because learning has the problems above (being dependent on
individual strategies and prior knowledge)).

Bonnie