architecture comparisons

David Klahr klahr at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat May 5 13:34:33 EDT 2001

There is a chapter in Shrager, Langley Klahr on the geneology of today's
production systems, that you might find interesting, and I did a chapter with
Brian MacWhinney that compares, from a cognitive development viewpoint,
production systems and connectionist systems.  Both of these are cast at a
pretty general level, and do not get into anything nitty gritty.

Neches, R., Langley, P., & Klahr, D. (1987). Learning, development and
production systems. In D. Klahr, P. Langley, & R. Neches (Eds.), Production
system models of learning and development. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.

Klahr, D., & MacWhinney, B. (1998)  Information Processing. In D. Kuhn & R. S.
Siegler (Eds.), W. Damon (Series Ed.).  Handbook of child psychology (5th ed.):
Vol. 2: Cognition, perception, and language. New York: Wiley.