how can ACT-R models age?

Lynne reder at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 16 07:41:35 EST 2001

Mark,

A number of us (Marsha Lovett, Chris Schunn and I) have shown that
strategy choice will vary as aa function of success with a strategy,
both within and across individuals.  Because a parameter change may
affect probability of success with a strategy, it is plausible to
assume that strategy choice will also change.

Reder (1982 and 1986; Psych Rev and Cog Psych, respectively) showed
changes in strategy choice as a function of delay (that caused
success of retrieval to shift)
and base rate manipulations;  Reder, Wible and Martin (1987?? in
JEP:LMC) showed that older subjects were more prone to use
plausibility than retrieval regardless of the delay.   More recent
work by Marsha, Chris & I in various combinations of these authors
have shown strategy choice variations within individuals and tendency
to adapt to also vary across individuals.

So maybe this can be done.

--Lynne

Lynne M. Reder, Professor
Department of Psychology
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

phone:     (412)268-3792
fax:          (412) 268-2844
email:      reder at cmu.edu

that strategy choice will vary as aa function of success with a
strategy, both within and across individuals.  Because a
parameter change may affect probability of success with a strategy, it
is plausible to assume that strategy choice will also change.</div>
showed changes in strategy choice as a function of delay (that caused
success of retrieval to shift)</div>
(1987?? in JEP:LMC) showed that older subjects were more prone to use
plausibility than retrieval regardless of the delay.   More
recent work by Marsha, Chris & I in various combinations of these
authors have shown strategy choice variations within individuals and
tendency to adapt to also vary across individuals. </div>
color=3D"#010101">Very interesting discussion, Dario and
respondents!</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#010101">After the 'a bit late' responses now 'a very late'
respons. Maybe this is a open door I am kicking in, but for me this
issue is not so clear yet.</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#010101">I think that when comparing age groups and
manipulating a model of a =91task A=92 to it accordingly, those
manipulations should be theoretically plausible in there
representation of what happens in consequence of aging. So now the
assumption is made about how aging is represented in the model. When
subsequently (the same) age groups are topic in the modeling on
another =91task B=92, we should use those manipulations of which it
was earlier assumed to represent the age difference. If we were
correct, in this way we should be able to capture the age differences
or similarities in behavior this task.</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#010101">I think this idea relates in general way to the work
on individual differences done by Marsha, Christian, Larry Daily and
Lynne Reder, in the sense that the modeling of one task is being used
to explain or even predict the data on another
task.</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#010101">My question would be:</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#010101">Is it possible to capture by this approach (by means
changes of parameter settings) the more strategic differences that are
found in behavior between different age groups?</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#010101">A recent example of these qualitative/strategic
differences has been found (Nieuwenhuis etal 2000 in Psychology and
Aging, vol. 15(4)) in using a antisaccade task.  Elderly compared
to younger adults were found to rely more on external cues when the
task at hand provides that possibility (in contrast to a endogenous
manner of control which is another possibility to rely on). But when
the possibility to rely on external cues is removed, the voluntary
endogenous manner of control now is being used consistently by the
elderly.</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#010101">Altough this maybe is not the most hard finding, other
studies have showed qualitative differences also. This paper is,
though, also interesting with respect to the issue of inhibition and
aging which popped up. A more general discussion about this in
Journals of Gerontology: Series B (1997, vol.52B(6)) in papers by
McDowd, by Burke and by Zacks&Hasher.</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#010101">The idea that aging groups can differ in how a task is
performed is in my opinion also reinforced by neuroimaging studies
that find differences between age groups in patterns of activation
when performing working memory tasks.</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#010101">Again, I wonder whether manipulating the continuous
parameters can result qualitative/strategic differences which are
found between age groups. Naturally this question not only applies to
aging but also to other sources of inter-individual differences and
intra-individual differences (eg fatigue) as Dario was pointing
out.</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#010101">Mark Dekker</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#010101"><br>
----------------------------------<br>
drs. Mark R. Dekker<br>
Experimentele & arbeidspsychologie<br>