how can ACT-R models age?

Mark Dekker M.R.Dekker at ppsw.rug.nl
Tue Jan 16 04:31:46 EST 2001

ram>Very interesting discussion, Dario and respondents!

After the 'a bit late' responses now 'a very late' respons. Maybe this is =
open door I am kicking in, but for me this issue is not so clear yet.

I think that when comparing age groups and manipulating a model of a
=91task A=92 to it accordingly, those  manipulations should be theoretical=
ly
plausible in there representation of what happens in consequence of
aging. So now the assumption is made about how aging is represented in
the model. When subsequently (the same) age groups are topic in the
modeling on another =91task B=92, we should use those manipulations of
which it was earlier assumed to represent the age difference. If we were
correct, in this way we should be able to capture the age differences or
similarities in behavior this task.

I think this idea relates in general way to the work on individual
differences done by Marsha, Christian, Larry Daily and Lynne Reder, in
the sense that the modeling of one task is being used to explain or even
predict the data on another task.

My question would be:

Is it possible to capture by this approach (by means changes of
parameter settings) the more strategic differences that are found in
behavior between different age groups?

A recent example of these qualitative/strategic differences has been
found (Nieuwenhuis etal 2000 in Psychology and Aging, vol. 15(4)) in
using a antisaccade task.  Elderly compared to younger adults were
found to rely more on external cues when the task at hand provides that
possibility (in contrast to a endogenous manner of control which is
another possibility to rely on). But when  the possibility to rely on
external cues is removed, the voluntary endogenous manner of control
now is being used consistently by the elderly.

Altough this maybe is not the most hard finding, other studies have
showed qualitative differences also. This paper is, though, also
interesting with respect to the issue of inhibition and aging which
popped up. A more general discussion about this in  Journals of
Gerontology: Series B (1997, vol.52B(6)) in papers by McDowd, by Burke
and by Zacks&Hasher.

The idea that aging groups can differ in how a task is performed is in my
opinion also reinforced by neuroimaging studies that find differences
between age groups in patterns of activation when performing working
memory tasks.

Again, I wonder whether manipulating the continuous parameters can
result qualitative/strategic differences which are found between age
groups. Naturally this question not only applies to aging but also to
other sources of inter-individual differences and intra-individual
differences (eg fatigue) as Dario was pointing out.

Mark Dekker

<nofill>
----------------------------------
drs. Mark R. Dekker