how can ACT-R models age?

Dario Salvucci dario at cbr.com
Wed Jan 10 11:55:45 EST 2001

It seems that if one subscribes to the view that we can "age" models
by varying parameters (ignoring issues of changes in qualitative /
strategic knowledge), the game is really to identify a parsimonious
minimal set of parameters that change and to specify how they change
over time.  Given the nice work on W, this seems to be the best
candidate so far for inclusion in this set.  Several parameters for
noise and perceptual-motor behavior would also be likely candidates
(e.g., time to move the hands, or ability to encode visual objects in
the periphery).  As always, we'd expect to run into tradeoffs between
specifying a smaller set of more general parameters (e.g., cycle time,
noise) and specifying a larger set of less general parameters that
provides greater complexity but also greater explanatory power.

By the way, the same approach could apply to other aspects of physical
state, mood, etc. -- for instance, can we make our models tired?
drunk? aggressive?  Plenty of research opportunities here...

Dario

Dario Salvucci
Cambridge Basic Research
Email: dario at cbr.com