ACT-R multitasking

Bonnie John bej at sei.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 13 14:33:05 EDT 2000

"Frank E. Ritter" wrote:

> There are two interesting Soar models about this problem that you may wish
> to find.  The source code, well, dunno.  that's still a problem.
>
> Chong's system learned how to sequence tasks and to my eye was quite cool.
> rchong at soartech.com
>
> Chong, R. S., & Laird, J. E. (1997). Identifying dual-task executive
> process knowledge using EPIC-Soar. In Proceedings of the 19th Annual
> Conference of the Cognitive Science Society.  107-112. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence
> Erlbaum.

Dario,
Yannick Lallement also wrote a Soar program that learned to do several
things at once (through interleaving tasks and learning when to
interrupt or give priority to one or the other), on the same task that
Ron did, but using a different version of Soar. We compare the two
models (and another non-learning one in EPIC) in the 1999 Cognitive
Science Conference (I think it was 1999, though it might have been 1998
-- I don't have access to my vita right now).

I'm sure Yannick would be happy to give you a pointer to the code but
since it involves using Soar and EPIC together, it is probably hard to
get to run somewhere other than here.  But you might contact him anyway
to discuss what we did and how we did it.
Yannick Lallement <yannick at Novator.com>

Bonnie