Connectionists: Call for Applications for CCN Junior Theoretical Neuroscientist Workshop

Matthew Turner mturner at flatironinstitute.org
Wed Apr 5 11:40:39 EDT 2023

*Call for Applications for CCN Junior Theoretical Neuroscientist Workshop
<https://indico.flatironinstitute.org/event/3534/>*
June 29-30, 2023

The Center for Computational Neuroscience at the Flatiron Institute of the
Simons Foundation invites applications for our first Junior Theoretical
Neuroscientist Workshop <https://indico.flatironinstitute.org/event/3534/>
.  The Junior Theoretical Neuroscientist’s workshop is a showcase for
advanced PhD students and postdocs to share cutting-edge research and
connect with the theoretical neuroscience community at the Flatiron
Institute and the broader NYC area. We expect to select 8 trainees to
participate in the workshop over June 29-30, 2023, at the Flatiron
Institute (160 5th Ave, New York, NY), providing an extended opportunity to
exchange ideas within a small group setting.

Each participant will contribute a 30 minute research talk followed by a 40
minute interactive discussion of the technical details behind the work.
Through these interactions and unstructured meeting times, participants
will receive valuable feedback from their peers as well as the broader
Flatiron community. Talks from senior Flatiron researchers and an external
keynote speaker are also planned to broaden the scope of the workshop.

Our aim is to attract a group of talented theorists studying different
topics and coming from diverse backgrounds. We expect the workshop will
provide a particularly excellent opportunity for participants in the
process of planning their next career stage.

*There is no charge to attend the workshop.* Each day, meals will be
provided for attendees, and accommodations will be provided for non-local
participants.

*Application materials*

   - *CV*
   - *Abstract for Talk (1 page) *
   - *1-2 authored papers or preprints related to the talk*
   - *(Optional) Brief cover letter explaining your interest in the
   workshop and your current research trajectory*
   - (Optional) website, google scholar link

*Organizers*

   - Alex Williams <https://www.simonsfoundation.org/people/alex-williams/>,
   Associate Research Scientist and Project Leader, CCN, and Assistant
   Professor, Center for Neural Science, NYU
   - SueYeon Chung <https://www.simonsfoundation.org/people/sueyeon-chung/>,
   Associate Research Scientist and Project Leader, CCN, and Assistant
   Professor, Center for Neural Science, NYU
   - Eero Simoncelli, Scientific Director, CCN, and Silver Professor, NYU
   - Dmitri Chklovskii, Group Leader, CCN

 *Deadline Schedule*

   - Application Deadline: April 30, 2023
   - Notification of admittance: May 8, 2023
   - Acceptance Deadline: May 19, 2023

Interested persons may apply online directly here:
https://indico.flatironinstitute.org/event/3534/

Please contact Matthew Turner, the CCN administrative manager (
mturner at flatironinstitute.org), with any questions.

Cordially,

MatthewMatthew B. Turner
Manager for Center Administration | Center for Computational Neuroscience
Pronouns: any

*FLATIRON INSTITUTE*
160 Fifth Avenue
Suite 408