Connectionists: Positions as Lecturer/Associate Professor in Robotics at University of Plymouth

Serge Thill serge.thill at his.se
Fri May 18 07:46:04 EDT 2018

[Apologies for cross-posting]

The position below may be of interest to this community. In addition, note that we also have an open position in computer science (see http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BJB737/lecturer-associate-professor-in-computer-science/ )

Best wishes,
Serge

The University of Plymouth is seeking to fill two positions as Lecturer/Associate Professor in Robotics.

General Description
The School offers a wide range of degree programmes related to Technology in the areas of Robotics, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Computer Science and Mathematics. We provide a stimulating teaching and research environment with strong connections to business and industry and offer excellent employment prospects for our graduates. We have a well-established interdisciplinary research base which covers: Centre for Robotics and Neural Systems (CRNS); Security, Communications & Networks; Nanotechnology & Electronics Research and Development. Four current active areas of research in Plymouth are the design and construction of agricultural robots for fruit and vegetable harvesting; the study of human-robot interaction and collaboration; the computational modelling and development of manipulation systems based on experimental investigations of human motor control and the design and development of robotic applications for Urban Search & Rescue and Nuclear Decommissioning.

We have vacancies for enthusiastic, innovative and dynamic individuals to join our vibrant School to support Robotics and Machine Learning, especially as applied to solving real-world problems by building systems that can operate near people. Areas of interest include (but are not limited to) aspects of robotics systems such as sensors and actuators, kinematics and dynamics, autonomous mobile platforms and deep learning for control and recognition.

Required qualifications
Applications are invited from academics and/or professional engineers, who can demonstrate a commitment and enthusiasm for innovation in higher education and to the development of the next generation of Robotic Engineers.  You must have undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in relevant disciplines (such as Engineering/Maths/Physics/Computer Science) together with an international profile and reputation for research excellence.

We offer

  *   Salary: from £33,518 to £56,950 (Grade 7/8/9) depending on the candidate's qualification and the level of experience
  *   Contract Type: full-time, working 37 hours per week on a permanent basis

Duties and responsibilities
As well as carrying out cutting edge research, you will supervise and contribute to training of Research Assistants (RAs) and PhD students, as well as contributing to teaching on the undergraduate and postgraduate Robotics programmes, as well as other courses within the School. The Electronics and Robotics subject groups are renowned for excellence in producing high quality hands-on engineers and you should be able to support practical hardware and software projects.

How to apply
Candidates can apply online by visiting the application link below: http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BJS594/lecturer-associate-professor-in-robotics/

Contact for informal discussion:
For informal queries, do not hesitate to contact Dr Ian Howard (ian.howard at plymouth.ac.uk<mailto:ian.howard at plymouth.ac.uk>).
Further information about the school and its courses is available at: www.plymouth.ac.uk/compmath<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/compmath>, with details of our research centre available at: www.plymouth.ac.uk/research/crns<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/research/crns>

Closing date: 12 midnight, Thursday 31 May 2018.

University of Plymouth is committed to an inclusive culture and respecting diversity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is a Stonewall diversity champion.

The University holds a Bronze Athena SWAN Award which recognises commitment to advancing women’s careers in STEMM academia.

University of Plymouth has been recognised by Bloomberg as one of the 50 best UK employers for 2016.