Connectionists: Roelfsema/Levelt labs: Postdoc or PhD Project in visual perception in mice

Pieter Roelfsema p.roelfsema at nin.knaw.nl
Sun Jun 5 03:23:34 EDT 2016

Project in visual perception in mice in the Roelfsema/Levelt labs

A post-doc or PhD-student position is available in the Vision & Cognition/ Molecular Visual Plasticity groups at the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience in Amsterdam. This project is funded by a Human Brain Project grant.

Feedforward and feedback processing for visual perception

We know from our previous work (Poort et al. Neuron, 2012; Self et al., PNAS 2012; Self et al., Curr. Biol. 2013) that feedback connections are crucial for the conscious perception of a figure on a background. Leveraging on the new methods for cell-specific in vivo two-photon imaging (van Versendaal et al. Neuron, 2012), wide field imaging and optogenetics (Saiepour et al, Curr. Biol., 2015), we now aim to test the causal roles of feedforward and feedback connections in the mouse visual cortex as well as their role in learning. We aim to manipulate visual perception in mice in tasks that require visual perception (Self et al., J. Neurosci. 2014) and to test how feedforward and feedback connections change as the result of learning a new task.

Qualifications
We will consider candidates with a degree in neuroscience, (neuro) psychology, biomedical sciences, natural sciences, mathematics, physics etc. A high level of written and spoken English and excellent programming skills for the setting up of behavioral tasks and for the analysis of imaging data are required. The ideal candidate will have experience with neurophysiological techniques, the analysis of neuronal activity in alert animals and a solid background in cognitive neuroscience.

Appointment

The positions involve a temporary appointment for 2-3 year (postdoc) or 4 years (PhD student).

To apply, please send application letter, CV and two letters of recommendation before July 10th 2016 to

Tini Eikelboom

The Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience

Meibergdreef 47, 1105 BA Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Telephone: +31-20-5664587

E-mail: t.eikelboom at nin.knaw.nl