Connectionists: how the brain works?

Danko Nikolic danko.nikolic at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 19 18:03:17 EDT 2014

Hi Brian,

    Practopoiesis is not a theory of the entire organism such that it
would be some sort of an overkill for explaining the brain and behavior.
Practopoiesis is primarily a theory of how the brain creates behavior.
It was just to my surprise to discover post hoc that these same
principles apply to the rest of biology (including genotype-phenotype
relation).

You asked:

   "Personally, I just want to create a happy being that can think
faster than me and answer my philosophical questions and lend a hand
with solving physics problems. How will practopoiesis help me do this,
beyond me using basic heuristics from psychology, such as just taking a
quick look at lesion studies and psychopathologies, which can help
inform which parts of the brain, and which details I need to include?"

Practopoiesis tells you why the current approaches did not work so far.
It explains what was missing. It also describes some of the properties
of this missing component so that one could go ahead and look for it in
the brain. Also, it describes the contribution of this component to
working memory, attention, semantics and to a few other aspects of
cognition (I am not sure about happiness though).

You wrote:

"For example, I already have a quite functional system that seems to
accomplish the same thing as practopoiesis. I call the "genotype" the
first principle component, and the "phenotype" all the rest of the
components."

The first principle component of brain network variance is an
interesting idea of compressing a brain model. You could use it also in
a practopoietic system. However, practopoiesis tells you that you will
need something else in addition. The network of the brain, irrespective
of whether it is compressed or not, can produce only one traverse.
Plasticity can add another traverse. So, you would then have in total
two traverses. Practopoiesis tells you that you need in total three
traverses. You can think of it as three stages of transition from
genotype to phenotype, whereby in each new transition, the previous
phenotype plays a role of genotype of the new phenotype, and so on. Thus
you would need to scan three different levels of the brain: network +
plasticity + one more named 'anapoiesis' (and then perhaps one can use
your idea and compress each by PCA). Practopoietic theory explains why
you need three and why one or two are not enough.

Danko

danko.nikolic at gmail.com