Connectionists: [SPAM]Re: [SPAM]Re: how the brain works?

Danko Nikolic danko.nikolic at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 14 05:10:17 EDT 2014

Dear Brian,

> Indeed, perhaps a mind that has a coherent semantic network manually
> pre-trained in IT cortex and elsewhere can skip embodiment altogether,
> and jump straight to intelligence (assuming the rest of the
> architecture is coherent).
Actually, according to practopoietic theory, it would not work for the
reason that the system needs ultimately to close the sensory-motor loops
as a way of re-checking the functionality of its abstract semantic
networks.

Without a constant sensory-motor feedback, the semantic parts would
quickly go astray--becoming a kind of psychotic, much like in dreams,
sensory deprivation, phantom limbs, etc.

One can think about it in terms of development: A development of a brain
(or an organism in general) is not possible without an interaction with
the environment. The adult brain then works in the same way as a toddler
brain but just with a smaller rate of change. This means that all our
adult learning, thinking, and intelligent behavior requires in the same
way interaction with the environment as it did when we were babies.

Only computer algorithms can work in isolation (in the manuscript on
practopoiesis I use the example of factoring a number). Our adaptive
biological brains cannot do that. And this is a good news because
exactly this dependence on the interaction with the environment is what
enables us to become more adaptive and more intelligent than machines.

With regards,

Danko

--
Danko Nikolic, Ph.D.

Web:
http://www.danko-nikolic.com

Mail address 1:
Department of Neurophysiology
Max Planck Institut for Brain Research
Deutschordenstr. 46
60528 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY

Mail address 2:
Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies
Wolfgang Goethe University
Ruth-Moufang-Str. 1
60433 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY