Connectionists: [SPAM]Re: [SPAM]Re: how the brain works?

Brian J Mingus brian.mingus at colorado.edu
Thu Mar 13 22:49:21 EDT 2014

Hi Asim,

Abstract concepts such as "bird" do not need to be defined in terms of what
birds look like or sound like, but can be defined in terms of what they
feel like or smell like. This is the embodied perspective. More generally,
though, we can define a bird in terms of other things, despite never having
experienced them. While it seems hard to argue that some kind of embodied
interaction with the world is necessary for intelligence, I can't
personally argue that any specific sensory modality is required. As
indicated by Hellen Keller, only smell and touch and taste are required,
and probably just one of those is required (principally touch), but I could
see smell and taste working as well.

For this reason, we can skip object recognition and jump straight to IT
cortex, where we find object invariant representations, and perhaps network
representations of meaning akin to Latent Semantic Analysis.

Indeed, perhaps a mind that has a coherent semantic network manually
pre-trained in IT cortex and elsewhere can skip embodiment altogether, and
jump straight to intelligence (assuming the rest of the architecture is
coherent).

This would not be unlike a sensory deprivation chamber. If you never had
the senses in the first place, it wouldn't be deprivation. It would just be
thinking and feeling.

Brian