Connectionists: CNS*2010 Call for Abstracts, Deadline Extended to Feb 26th

Erik De Schutter erik at tnb.ua.ac.be
Thu Feb 18 20:34:20 EST 2010

CNS*2010
Annual International Computational Neuroscience Conference
July 24 - July 30, 2010
San Antonio, Texas, USA
http://www.cnsorg.org

CALL FOR REGISTRATION AND FINAL CALL FOR ABSTRACTS - CNS*2010
EARLY MEETING REGISTRATION OPEN: January 15, 2010
EARLY MEETING REGISTRATION CLOSED: May 15, 2010 (11 PM Pacific Time, USA)
REGISTRATION WEBSITE: http://www.cnsorg.org/2010 or
https://www.regonline.com/CNS2010

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION OPEN: January 18, 2010
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: February 26, 2010 (11 PM Pacific Time, USA)
NOTIFICATION OF ABSTRACT ACCEPTANCE:  April 16, 2010
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION WEBSITE: http://www.cnsorg.org/2010/submission.shtml

CNS*2010 will be held in San Antonio, Texas, USA July 24-30th, 2010.
The meeting will kick off with a day of tutorials and an evening
welcome reception on July 24th.  The main meeting of CNS*2010 will
take place from Sunday July 25th-Wednesday July 28th, including a
special Symposium, "Computational Neuroscience:  What have we learned
in 20 years and what do we still need to know?", on the afternoons of
July 26th-27th.  These events will be followed by two days of
workshops on July 29-30th (Thursday-Friday).

The main meeting will be held in the historic Sheraton Gunter Hotel in
central San Antonio, one block from San Antonio's Famous River Walk.
San Antonio is home to several universities including the University
of Texas Health Science Center - San Antonio and the University of
Texas San Antonio, which are both sponsoring CNS*2010.  As is
traditional, the CNS banquet will be an interesting and culturally
themed event, hosted at Sundance Ranch on July 28th.

Submissions can include experimental, model-based, as well as more
abstract theoretical approaches to understanding neurobiological
computation.  We especially encourage research that mixes experimental
and theoretical studies.  We also accept papers that describe new
technical approaches to theoretical and experimental issues in
computational neuroscience or relevant software packages.

INVITED SPEAKERS:
Miguel Nicolelis, Duke University, USA,  Frontiers in Computational
Neuroscience Lecturer
Vivian Mushahwar, University of Alberta, Canada
Jonathan Wolpaw, Wadsworth Center and SUNY, USA

SYMPOSIUM SPEAKERS:
John Miller, Montana State University, "Analysis of invertebrate
nervous systems as models for understanding complex function"
Ron Calabrese, Emory University, "The more we look, the more
biological variation we see: How has and should this influence
modeling of small networks”
Alain Destexhe, CNRS - France, "The Nervous System, still noisy after
all these years?"
Upinder Bhalla, NCBS- Bangalor India, "Still looking for the memories:
molecules and synaptic plasticity."
John Rinzel, NYU, “Modeling neuronal dynamics - our trajectory?”
Bruno Olshausen, University of California Berkeley, "Learning about
vision:  questions we've answered, questions we haven't answered, and
questions we haven't yet asked.”
Sharon Crook, Arizona State University, “Learning from the past:
Approaches for Reproducibility in Computational Neuroscience”
Avrama Blackwell, George Mason University, "Calcium: the Answer to
Life, the Universe, and Everything"
Christiane Linster, Cornell University, “The olfactory system, still
computing, but how??”
Michael Hasselmo, Boston University, “20 years of oscillations and
memory: The long and winding road linking cellular mechanisms to
behavior.”

TUTORIALS:
Emery N. Brown, MIT:  Neural Signal Processing Algorithms
Astrid Prinz, Emory:  Brute force exploration of high-dimensional
conductance spaces
Steven Schiff, Penn State:  Neural control engineering
Reza Shadmehr, Johns Hopkins:  Computational Motor Control
& OTHERS TBA

WORKSHOPS:
see www.cns.org/2010

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION:
Submissions to the meeting will take the form of a formatted abstract.
Submission instructions, submission website, and a full description
of the review process are at
http://www.cnsorg.org/2010/submission.shtml.  Authors wanting an oral
presentation are required to also submit a 1-3-page summary (for the
OCNS reviewers only) describing the nature, scope and main results of
the work in more detail.  The summaries will be reviewed to construct
the oral program.  All submissions will be acknowledged by e-mail.

OPEN ACCESS, CITABLE  ABSTRACT PUBLICATION:
The formatted abstracts will again be published as a Supplement to the
online journal BMC Neuroscience. The supplement is citable, indexed by
PubMed, and open access.
At least one author must register for CNS*2010 by the early
registration deadline of May 15, 2010 for the abstract to be published
and included in the program book.  Last year's abstracts are available
at the URLs:
--http://www.cnsorg.org/meetings/archives/CNS2009.shtml
--http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2202/10?issue=S.

AWARDS:
A limited number of travel grant awards, based on abstract review,
will be available to students.  Travel awards are also available for
students and postdoctoral fellows attending Tutorials and for
postdoctoral fellows presenting at Workshops through a National
Science Foundation grant to Ranu Jung at the Center for Adaptive
Neural Systems, Arizona State University.  Women and underrepresented
minorities in STEM are particularly encouraged to apply.  See
instructions for requesting  travel  awards at www.cnsorg.org.
Recipients of travel grants will be notified by May 5, 2010.

Student posters presented at CNS*2010 will also be judged for cash
prizes awarded at the meeting.
Please check www.cnsorg.org periodically for announcement of
additional categories of awards for postdoctoral fellows.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:
The CNS*2010 meeting is organized by the Organization for
Computational Neurosciences, Inc.
President:  Erik De Schutter (U Antwerp, Belgium and OIST, Japan)
Past President:  Ranu Jung (Arizona State U, USA)
Program chair:  Don H. Johnson (Rice U, USA)
Local organizers: James Bower, Charles Wilson, and Todd Troyer (U
Texas, San Antonio, USA)
Program Committee:
Victoria Booth (U Michigan, USA)
Hide Cateau (RIKEN, Japan)
Gennady Cymbalyuk (Georgia State U, USA)
Andrew Davison (UNIC, France)
Jean-Marc Fellous (U Arizona, USA; Publication Chair)
Boris Gutkin, (ENS, France)
Jeanette Hellgren-Kotaleski (Royal Institute of Technology &
Karolinska Institute, Sweden)
Simon Schultz (Imperial College, UK)
Harel Shouval (U Texas Medical School, USA)
Volker Steuber (U Hertfordshire, UK)
Miriam Zacksenhouse (Technion, Israel)