Connectionists: PhD position available, Groningen/NL

Michael Biehl biehl at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Fri Nov 4 03:16:58 EST 2005

 PhD position available

 A Ph.D. fellowship for non-Dutch citizens is available
 in field of Machine Learning at the University of
 Groningen, Department of Computing Science.
 The fellowship is for a period of four years and amounts
 to (currently) 1340 Euros (tax free) per month.

 The aim of the project is two-fold:

   (a) to gain a better theoretical understanding of
       prototype based learning in systems with many
       degrees of freedom
   (b) the design and application of optimized or novel
       training algorithms in the context of real world
       problems (e.g.  medical images or data).

   The focus will be on prototype-based techniques
   of unsupervised Vector Quantization, Neural Gas
   algorithms and Self-organizing Maps, as well as
   on supervised algorithms for Learning Vector
   Quantization (LVQ).

   Candidates should have a strong interest in theory
   and mathematics. A background in theoretical physics
   (statistical mechanics) would be a big plus, but is not
   required.

   Before applying, please check out publications and
   try to get an impression of our on-going research.
   Brief descriptions of our projects and preprints are
   available from

   http://www.cs.rug.nl/~biehl

   Please feel free to contact me (see below) if you
   have further questions about the post and the project.

   Interested candidates should send their application
   (through e-mail in pdf-format or hardcopies by mail)

   Dr. Michael Biehl
   University of Groningen
   Dept. of Mathematics and Computing Science
   Blauwborgje 3
   9747 AC Groningen
   The Netherlands

   m.biehl at rug.nl