Position in computational neuroscience/informatics

Adrian B. Robert abr2001 at med.cornell.edu
Mon Nov 3 10:02:25 EST 2003

Computational Neuroscience Research Associate
and
Neuroinformatics Research Associate

Starting 1 January 2004
At the Laboratory of Neuroinformatics in New York City,
funded by the NIH's Human Brain Project.

The Laboratory of Neuroinformatics at Cornell's Weill Medical
College in New York City seeks researchers at the post-doc level or
above to join a team developing an integrated suite of analytic
algorithms, parallel computational resources, databases, tools, and
standards for data and algorithm description and exchange.
Successful candidates will have a background in computational
neuroscience or neuroinformatics, and combine the ability to work in
a team setting with creativity and initiative.  We provide generous
salary and benefits, the excitement of life in New York, and the
opportunity to work with a dedicated group of neuroinformatic
developers and neurophysiologists, including Daniel Gardner,
Jonathan D. Victor, and distinguished collaborators in neural data
acquisition, analysis, and algorithm development.

Our work in computational neuroinformatics is a component of the
NIH's Human Brain Project, funded by NIMH.  To advance our
understanding of neural coding, we are developing a suite of
information-theoretic algorithms as public resources and for
application to data in our neurophysiology databases via a linked
dedicated computational array.  The project complements our
development at neurodatabase.org of searchable neurophysiology
databases containing spike train and other microelectrode data and
allied descriptive metadata including recording site, technique, and
stimulus.  To aid data sharing and interoperability among
neurodatabases, we are creating BrainML, an XML-based multilevel
data description suite for neuroscience.

Computational Neuroscience candidates should have solid experience
using information theoretic or other statistical or analytic
techniques to analyze neurophysiologic or similar experimental data.
Programming skills in C and Matlab are essential, and experience in
large-scale computation or numerical analysis is helpful.

Neuroinformatics candidates will bring experience with informatics
techniques including database design, Java programming, and/or XML
as well as a background in neuroscience, bioinformatics, or medical
informatics.

Those attending the Society for Neuroscience meeting may contact
Daniel Gardner via the placement service (employer number 204240);
otherwise, email CV, letter of interest, and the names of three
references to: dan at med.cornell.edu.