ASIC Conference Announcement

Rich Shiffrin shiffrin at indiana.edu
Tue Jan 8 16:16:33 EST 2002

First Annual Summer Interdisciplinary Conference (ASIC)
Squamish, British Columbia, Canada
July 30 (Tuesday) - August 5 (Monday), 2002
Organizer: Richard M. Shiffrin,
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405

This conference is modeled after the winter AIC conference that has been
held for almost 30 years: Days are free for leisure activities and the
talks are in the later afternoon/early evening. The date has been chosen
to make it convenient for attendees to bring family/friends. The
conference is open to all interested parties, and an invitation is NOT
needed. The subject is interdisciplinary, within the broad frame of
Cognitive Science. Much more information is available on the conference
website at:

http://www.psych.indiana.edu/asic2002/

[ Below is an excerpt from the web page.  -- Connectionists moderator ]

Conference Aims

The conference will cover a wide range of subjects in cognitive science,
including:

    * neuroscience, cognitive neuroscience
    * psychology (including perception, psychophysics, attention,
    * information processing, memory and cognition)
    * computer science
    * machine intelligence and learning
    * linguistics
    * and philosophy

We especially invite talks emphasizing theory, mathematical modeling
and computational modeling (including neural networks and artificial
intelligence). Nonetheless, we require talks that are comprehensible
and interesting to a wide scientific audience. Speakers will provide
overviews of current research areas, as well as of their own recent
progress.

Conference Format

The conference will start with a reception on the first
evening,Tuesday, July 30, at 5 PM, followed by a partial session.

Each of the next five evenings, the sessions will begin at 4:30 PM
(time to be confirmed later). Drinks, light refreshments and snacks
will be available starting at 4:15 PM, prior to the start of the
session, and at the midway break. A session will consist of 6-7 talks
and a mid-session break, finishing at approximately 8:30-8:45 PM. A
banquet will be held following the final session of the conference.

There are no parallel sessions or presentations. We will have a
separate room, day and time set aside for poster presentations, both
for persons preferring this format to a spoken presentation, and for
any presenters who cannot be allotted speaking slots. The time and
date for the posters has yet to be decided, but we are considering an
hour just preceding the regular session on one of the days of the
conference.

It will not escape the savvy reader that this conference format frees
most of the day for various activities with colleagues, family, and
friends.