faculty positions in new Statistics Dept at UCI

Padhraic Smyth smyth at ics.uci.edu
Thu Sep 6 13:35:22 EDT 2001

[apologies as usual if you receive this more than once]

Dear Colleagues,
     The University of California, Irvine (UCI) has just announced
the creation of a new statistics department. In the coming year
UCI will be hiring for three positions, two tenured (one of which is
the chair) and one tenure-track. Computational statistics (in
a broad sense, including graphical models, machine learning, etc) is
one of the areas where we are likely to be hiring, so I would
encourage those of you who are interested to please apply and/or
to pass the word along to any colleagues who might be interested.
(full details below).
    This new department is likely to offer significant opportunities
for interdisciplinary collaborations with faculty and students in
other departments at UCI including computer science, biological
sciences, medicine, cognitive science, economics, all of which
are actively involved in setting up the new department.

Padhraic Smyth
Information and Computer Science
University of California, Irvine
smyth at ics.uci.edu

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, IRVINE

Announces a Department in Statistics

The University of California, Irvine is starting a Department of
Statisitcs. We anticipate appointing a full-time faculty in
statistics of 6-8 people over the next seven years, with several more
half-time appointments shared with other units at UCI. It will be a
department with a strongly interdisciplinary flavor, focused both on
theoretical research and applied problems, and it will be associated
with an independent statistical consulting center that presently
serves the campus and surrounding businesses and industry.

Three faculty positions are open for recruitment in 2001-02: two with
tenure, including one for the Chair of the Department; and one
tenure-track assistant professorship. In all cases demonstrated
excellence in research, teaching, and service are sought and, in the
case of the Chair evidence of leadership ability is required.

UCI is one of the youngest campuses in the University of California,
yet we are already ranked 10th among public universities. We are
projected to grow by almost 50% over the next ten years, with
significant increases in graduate enrollment. The new Department of
Statistics will occupy a prominent place in this expanding academic
profile, and it will interact significantly with a wide range of
existing departments and innovative programs across the whole campus.

A detailed account of plans for the new department is available at
www.evc.uci.edu/proposal.pdf. For information about UCI, see
www.uci.edu/. For information about the community around UCI, see
www.oc.ca.gov/.

Completed applications with a cover letter, sample research
publications, and if possible three letters of recommendation and up
to five additional names who may be contacted should be sent to the
Chair of the search committee:

                Professor Duncan Luce
                c/o Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor
                535 Administration Bldg.
                University of California, Irvine
                Irvine, CA 92697-1000

                (Applications received before November 1, 2001, will
receive
                preference, but later applications will be considered.)

The University of California is an Equal Opportunity Employer
committed to excellence through diversity.