Postdoc in Computational Neuroscience

Chris Eliasmith celiasmith at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Oct 23 12:28:12 EDT 2000

A POSTDOCTORAL POSITION in COMPUTATIONAL NEUROSCIENCE is available in
Charles Anderson's Computational Neuroscience Research Group (CNRG) in
the Dept. of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Washington University School of
Medicine in St. Louis. This position is available immediately and for a
duration of up to 3 years. A competitive salary package will be offered
depending on the qualifications of the candidate.

We have active research in a wide range of topics that are focused on
the development of a general framework for realistic modeling of neural
systems. Our approach is based on fundamental principles of signal
processing, motor control theory and statistical inference. Ongoing
projects in close collaboration with experimentalists include models of
visual cortex (with David Van Essen and Greg DeAngelis), parietal
working memory (Larry Snyder), and the vestibular ocular motor system
(Dora Angelaki and Steve Highstein). We would like to expand our models
of cortical processing of visual information and are open to modeling
the function of the cerebellum (with Tom Thach). This research position
requires strong analytic and computer modeling skills. Candidates with
training in engineering or physics are especially encouraged to apply
even if they have no background in neuroscience. What is required is a
strong interest in learning about these fascinating computational
systems  (see http://stp.wustl.edu/~compneuro for more information).

Washington University is a leading research institute in all areas of
neuroscience. Dr. Anderson's research group is in the Dept. of Anatomy
and Neurobiology, chaired by David Van Essen. Besides strong
collaborations with the many experimental neuroscientists in the
department, there are active interactions with the Neural Engineering
division of the rapidly growing Biomedical Engineering Department at
Washington University, as well as the Biology, Physics, and Electrical
Engineering Departments.

Please send a CV, a brief statement of research experience and
interests, and the names and contact information of two references to:
cha at shifter.wustl.edu. Applications can also be mailed to:

Dr. Charles H. Anderson
Dept. Anatomy and Neurobiology
Campus Box 8108