positions in machine learning at University of Colorado at Boulder

Mike Mozer mozer at cs.colorado.edu
Sun Oct 22 15:31:33 EDT 2000

University of Colorado at Boulder
Department of Computer Science
Tenure Track Positions

The Department of Computer Science of the University of Colorado at
Boulder is seeking applications for a number of tenure track faculty
positions.  While we expect most of the appointments to be at the
Assistant Professor level, we will consider outstanding candidates at
all levels.

The Department is currently recruiting to fill two positions in the area of
machine learning.  We are particularly interested applicants whose work
expands the theoretical foundations of machine learning, and applicants who
apply theoretically-grounded techniques to solving practical, real-world
problems and/or understanding the brain from a cognitive neuroscience
perspective.

The University of Colorado has a diverse faculty interested in issues of neural
and statistical computation (http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~mozer/ns.html), and
is particularly strong in the areas of speech recognition, natural language
processing, computational modeling of human cognition, and human-machine
interfaces.  An explosion of local start-ups with research activities in
machine learning enriches the university community and furnishes a wealth
of collaborative opportunities.

The Department has 39 faculty (including five new members who have
joined this year), 191 graduate students, and 565 undergraduates.
The Department has received four successive five-year NSF CER and RI
awards to support its computing infrastructure and collaborative
research among its faculty, most recently for the period 2000-2005. In
the recent NSF ITR competition our faculty participated in proposals
funded for more than $13.5M.  The faculty is also proud of its record
in offering an outstanding educational experience to our students.  We
are seeking new colleagues who share our commitment to the ideals of
the research university as a uniquely valuable institution in our
society, combining the creation of new knowledge with the shaping of
future leaders.

Our location in Boulder offers a pleasant college town ambience, easy
access to the great outdoors, and participation in a vibrant,
rapidly-growing high tech industry community.  A recent study by a
major telecommunications startup identified Boulder County as the most
attractive setting nationally to which to recruit staff.  Our alumni
are playing important roles in creating the next generation of
technology and technology companies here and elsewhere.