Postdoctoral Position: Gesture recognition at OGI

Phil Cohen pcohen at cse.ogi.edu
Tue Oct 12 17:44:52 EDT 1999

The following position is available at the Center for Human-Computer
Communication at the Oregon Graduate Institute:

TOPIC: Two-dimensional and three-dimensional gesture recognition as
part of multimodal systems.  You will be an integral member of a
multidisciplinary team that has developed leading edge technology.
Topics will include gesture interaction for 2-D map-based
interactions, and also for 3-D real and virtual worlds.

EXPERIENCE: Postdoctoral researcher (new Ph.D. or more experienced),
extensive knowledge of neural networks (especially committee-based
approaches), and HMMs.  Prior work with gesture recognition and/or
handwriting recognition is essential.  Experience with natural
language processing would also be desirable.

SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENTS:  Should be familiar with MatLab,
and program in C++ on PC's and Unix.  Experience with Windows CE would
also be desirable.

Compensation will be competitive.

INSTITUTION: CHCC at OGI is one of the world's leading institutions
engaged in research on multimodal interaction.  We are well-supported
by DARPA, NSF, ONR, and other organizations. The QuickSet multimodal
system is highly regarded and is a key part of numerous Government
programs.  To learn more about our Center and our work, please visit
http://www.cse.ogi.edu/CHCC.

AREA: Portland, Oregon is a fine place to live.  There are numerous
outdoors activities (skiing, windsurfing, hiking, beach combing, etc.)
within 1 hour's drive.  Yes, it rains here in winter (but it probably
does something nasty where you live too.)  However, one can often have
5 months of no/little rain in Spring/Summer/Fall.

To apply, please send a resume, research statment,
and names/contact information for at least 3 references to:

Prof. Phil Cohen
Center for Human-Computer Communication
Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology
20000 NW Walker Rd.
Beaverton, OR 97006
503-690-1326
Fax:  503-690-1548