TECH-REPORT on bagging neural networks

John Carney John.Carney at cs.tcd.ie
Fri Aug 27 09:44:25 EDT 1999

Dear Connectionists,

The following technical report is available for download from:
http://www.cs.tcd.ie/publications/tech-reports/tr-index.99.html

REPORT NUMBER: TCD-CS-1999-44

TITLE:
Tuning diversity in bagged neural network ensembles

ABSTRACT:
In this paper we address the issue of how to optimize the generalization
performance of bagged neural network ensembles. We investigate how
diversity amongst networks in bagged ensembles can signifcantly influence
ensemble generalization performance and propose a new early-stopping
technique that effectively tunes this diversity so that overall ensemble
generalization performance is optimized. Experiments performed on benchmark
regression data-sets demonstrate the potential of the technique.

KEYWORDS:
Bagging, diversity, ensemble, generalization, early-stopping

Any comments or feedback welcome.

Regards,

John Carney.

John Carney