JAIR article: Connectionist Theory Refinement: Genetically..."

Steve Minton minton at ISI.EDU
Fri May 23 13:09:06 EDT 1997

Readers of this mailing list might be interested in the following article,
which was just published by JAIR:

Opitz, D.W. and Shavlik, J.W. (1997)
  "Connectionist Theory Refinement: Genetically Searching the Space of Network Topologies",  Volume 6, pages 177-209.

   Available in HTML, Postscript (578K) and compressed Postscript (267K).
   For quick access via your WWW browser, use this URL:
     http://www.jair.org/abstracts/opitz97a.html
   More detailed instructions are below.

   Abstract: An algorithm that learns from a set of examples should
   ideally be able to exploit the available resources of (a) abundant
   computing power and (b) domain-specific knowledge to improve its
   ability to generalize.  Connectionist theory-refinement systems, which
   use background knowledge to select a neural network's topology and
   initial weights, have proven to be effective at exploiting
   domain-specific knowledge; however, most do not exploit available
   computing power. This weakness occurs because they lack the ability to
   refine the topology of the neural networks they produce, thereby
   limiting generalization, especially when given impoverished domain
   theories. We present the REGENT algorithm which uses (a) domain-specific
   knowledge to help create an initial population of knowledge-based
   neural networks and (b) genetic operators of crossover and mutation
   (specifically designed for knowledge-based networks) to continually
   search for better network topologies. Experiments on three real-world
   domains indicate that our new algorithm is able to significantly
   increase generalization compared to a standard connectionist
   theory-refinement system, as well as our previous algorithm for
   growing knowledge-based networks.

The article is available via:

 -- comp.ai.jair.papers (also see comp.ai.jair.announce)

 -- World Wide Web: The URL for our World Wide Web server is
       http://www.jair.org/
    For direct access to this article and related files try:
       http://www.jair.org/abstracts/opitz97a.html

 -- Anonymous FTP from either of the two sites below.

    Carnegie-Mellon University (USA):
	ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/project/jair/volume6/opitz97a.ps
    The University of Genoa (Italy):
	ftp://ftp.mrg.dist.unige.it/pub/jair/pub/volume6/opitz97a.ps

    The compressed PostScript file is named opitz97a.ps.Z (267K)

 -- automated email. Send mail to jair at cs.cmu.edu or jair at ftp.mrg.dist.unige.it
    with the subject AUTORESPOND and our automailer will respond. To
    get the Postscript file, use the message body GET volume6/opitz97a.ps
    (Note: Your mailer might find this file too large to handle.)
    Only one can file be requested in each message.

For more information about JAIR, visit our WWW or FTP sites, or
send electronic mail to jair at cs.cmu.edu with the subject AUTORESPOND
and the message body HELP, or contact jair-ed at ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov.