Paper available: Task Decomposition and Modular Neural Net

Bao-Liang Lu lbl at nagoya.bmc.riken.go.jp
Tue Jun 24 04:53:37 EDT 1997

The following paper, appeared in Lecture Notes in Computer Science,
vol. 1240, 1997, Springer, is available via anonymous FTP.

(This work was presented at International Work-Conference on
Artificial and Natural Neural Networks (IWANN'97), 4-6 June 1997,
Lanzarote, Canary Islands, Spain )

FTP-host:ftp.bmc.riken.go.jp

FTP-file:pub/publish/Lu/lu-iwann97.ps.gz

TITLE: Task Decomposition Based on Class Relations: A Modular Neural
       Network Architecture for Pattern Classification

AUTHORS:
       Bao-Liang Lu
       Masami Ito

ORGANISATIONS:
       Bio-Mimetic Control Research Center,
       The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN)

ABSTRACT:
In this paper, we propose a new methodology for decomposing
pattern classification problems based on the class relations among
training data. We also propose two combination principles for
integrating individual modules to solve the original problem.
By using the decomposition methodology, we can divide a $K$-class
classification problem into ${K\choose 2}$ relatively smaller
two-class classification problems. If the two-class problems are
still hard to be learned, we can further break down them into a set of
smaller and simpler two-class problems. Each of the two-class problem
can be learned by a modular network independently. After learning,
we can easily integrate all of the modules according to the combination
principles to get the solution of the original problem. Consequently,
a $K$-class classification problem can be solved effortlessly
by learning a set of smaller and simpler two-class classification
problems in parallel

(10 pages )

Bao-Liang Lu
Bio-Mimetic Control Research Center
The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN)
Anagahora, Shimoshidami, Moriyama-ku
Nagoya 463, Japan
Tel: +81-52-736-5870
Fax: +81-52-736-5871