New paper on orientation and ocular dominance available

Dirk Brockmann zwerg at libra.chaos.gwdg.de
Thu Jun 5 02:57:30 EDT 1997

 "Conditions for the joint emergence of
 orientation and ocular dominance in
 a high-dimensional self-organizing map."

 by D. Brockmann, M. Riesenhuber, H. U. Bauer, T. Geisel, (1997)>

 at http://www.chaos.gwdg.de/~zwerg/

Abstract:
We investigate a model for the joint development of orientation
and ocular dominance columns which is based on the high-dimensional
version of Kohonen's Self-Organizing Map algorithm.
The model is driven by stimuli which have correlated left eye/right eye
and on center cell/off center cell components. We first analyze the
model using a recently proposed mathematical technique which allows
us to identify regions in parameter space for which either ocular
dominance
or orientation columns alone develop, or both together.
Guided by these results we then simulate the model and indeed find
jointly developed columnar systems.
The prefered angle of intersection between iso-orientation lines and
the boundaries of iso-ocularity domains turns out to be rather
perpendicular, consistent with experimental observations.

Dirk