paper on on-line character recognition using "constraint tangent distance"

Holger Schwenk schwenk at IRO.UMontreal.CA
Wed Dec 11 12:06:03 EST 1996

The following paper on on-line character recognition is available on the WEB at

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~schwenk/papers/icpr96.ps.gz

Comments are welcome

Holger

Holger Schwenk                                 phone: (514) 343-6111 ext 1655
                                                 fax: (514) 343-5834
LISA, Dept. IRO
University of Montreal                         email: schwenk at iro.umontreal.ca
2920 Chemin de la tour, CP 6128           http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~schwenk
Montreal, Quebec, H3C 3J7
CANADA

                   Constraint Tangent Distance for
                   On-line Character Recognition

                     H. Schwenk and M. Milgram

published in International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR),
pp. D:515--519, August 1996

Abstract:
---------

In on-line character recognition we can observe two kinds of intra-class
variations: small geometric deformations and completely different writing
styles. We propose a new approach to deal with these problems by defining an
extension of tangent distance (Simard and al, 1993), well known in off-line
character recognition.
The system has been implemented with a k-nearest neighbor classifier and
a so called diabolo classifier respectively (Schwenk and Milgram, 1995).
Both classifiers are invariant under transformations like rotation, scale
or slope and can deal with variations in stroke order and writing direction.
Results are presented for our digit database with more than 200 writers.