Abstract: NN Optimization on Compressible Graphs

Jagota Arun Kumar jagota at ponder.csci.unt.edu
Fri Sep 15 19:33:34 EDT 1995

Dear Connectionists:

I announce a cleaner version of a paper I announced back in 1992. It is
essentially unchanged in other aspects.

             Performance of Neural Network Algorithms for
             Maximum Clique On Highly Compressible Graphs

                 Arun K. Jagota and Kenneth W. Regan

The problem of finding the size of the largest clique in an undirected graph
is NP-hard, even to approximate well. Simple algorithms work quite well
however on random graphs. It is felt by many, however, that the uniform
distribution u(n) does not accurately reflect the nature of instances that
come up in practice. It is argued that when the actual distribution is
unknown, it is more appropriate to suppose that instances come from the
Solomonof-Levin or universal distribution m(x) instead, which assigns higher
weight to instances with shorter descriptions. Because m(x) is neither
computable nor samplable, we employ a realistic analogue q(x) which lends
itself to efficient empirical testing. We experimentally evaluate how well
certain neural network algorithms for Maximum Clique perform on graphs drawn
from q(x), as compared to those drawn from u(n). The experimental results are
as follows. All nine algorithms we evaluated performed roughly equally-well on
u(n), whereas three of them---the simplest ones---performed markedly poorer
than the other six on q(x). Our results suggest that q(x), while postulated
as a more realistic distribution to test the performance of algorithms than
u(n), is also one that discriminates their performance better. Our q(x)
sampler can be used to generate compressible instances of any discrete problem.

Send requests by e-mail to          jagota at cs.unt.edu

I use this mechanism to get some indication of the amount of interest, if
any, there is in this type of work.

Arun Jagota