postdoc job

Geoffrey Hinton hinton at cs.toronto.edu
Sun Sep 3 15:55:29 EDT 1995

				POSTDOC JOB

   USING HIDDEN MARKOV MODELS OR NEURAL NETS TO RECOGNIZE ANIMAL SOUNDS

The Natural Sciences Unit of Ontario Hydro Technologies in Toronto has a
postdoc position available on a project that aims to monitor biodiversity by
recognizing wildlife vocalizations (such as birds and frogs).  We already have
a large database and are particularly interested in candidates who have
experience in speech recognition using Hidden Markov Models, neural networks,
or both.  The postdoc will spend one afternoon each week at the University of
Toronto interacting with Geoff Hinton's group.

We need to fill the position as soon as possible.  If necessary we will
consider suitably qualified candidates who can only come for 6 months, though
we would prefer someone to come for at least a year. The annual salary will be
in the range 40,000 to 60,000 Canadian dollars.

Please contact Dr. Paul Patrick of the Natural Sciences Unit for more details
(phone 416-207-6277, fax 416-207-6094) or E-mail Dr. Patrick or Dr. Hinton
(PatrickP at rd.hydro.on.ca, hinton at ai.toronto.edu).