JAIR article

minton@ISI.EDU minton at ISI.EDU
Tue Dec 19 14:53:27 EST 1995

Readers of this mailing list may be interested in the following JAIR
article, which was just published:

Weiss, S.M. and Indurkhya, N. (1995)
  "Rule-based Machine Learning Methods for Functional Prediction",
   Volume 3, pages 383-403.
   PostScript: volume3/weiss95a.ps (527K)
	       compressed, volume3/weiss95a.ps.Z (166K)

   Abstract: We describe a machine learning method for predicting the
   value of a real-valued function, given the values of multiple input
   variables. The method induces solutions from samples in the form of
   ordered disjunctive normal form (DNF) decision rules. A central
   objective of the method and representation is the induction of
   compact, easily interpretable solutions.  This rule-based decision
   model can be extended to search efficiently for similar cases prior to
   approximating function values. Experimental results on real-world data
   demonstrate that the new techniques are competitive with existing
   machine learning and statistical methods and can sometimes yield
   superior regression performance.

The PostScript file is available via:

 -- comp.ai.jair.papers

 -- World Wide Web: The URL for our World Wide Web server is
       http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/jair/home.html

 -- Anonymous FTP from either of the two sites below:
      CMU:   p.gp.cs.cmu.edu        directory: /usr/jair/pub/volume3
      Genoa: ftp.mrg.dist.unige.it  directory:  pub/jair/pub/volume3

 -- automated email. Send mail to jair at cs.cmu.edu or jair at ftp.mrg.dist.unige.it
    with the subject AUTORESPOND, and the body GET VOLUME3/FILE-NM
    (e.g., GET VOLUME3/MOONEY95A.PS)
    Note: Your mailer might find our files too large to handle. Also, note
    that compressed files cannot be emailed, since they are binary files.

 -- JAIR Gopher server: At p.gp.cs.cmu.edu, port 70.

For more information about JAIR, check out our WWW or FTP sites, or
send electronic mail to jair at cs.cmu.edu with the subject AUTORESPOND
and the message body HELP, or contact jair-ed at ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov.