Paper available by ftp

Venkat Ajjanagadde venkat at occam.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Jun 2 09:57:34 EDT 1994

FTP-host: archive.cis.ohio-state.edu
FTP-filename: /pub/neuroprose/ajjanagadde.aaai94.ps.Z

The following paper is available via anonymous ftp from the neuroprose archive:
File: ajjanagadde.aaai94.ps.Z
6 pages

	Unclear Distinctions Lead to  Unnecessary Shortcomings: Examining the
	Rule vs Fact, Role vs Filler, and Type vs Predicate Distinctions from
	a Connectionist Representation and Reasoning Perspective
	[To appear in Proc. of the AAAI-94]

			Venkat Ajjanagadde
		   Wilhelm-Schickard Institute
	 	 Universitaet Tuebingen, Germany

abstract:
This paper deals with three distinctions pertaining to knowledge
representation, namely, the rules vs facts distinction, roles vs fillers
distinction, and predicates vs types distinction. Though these distinctions
may indeed have some intuitive appeal, the exact natures  of these
distinctions are not entirely clear. This paper discusses some of the problems
that arise when one accords these distinctions a prominent status in a
connectionist system by choosing the representational structures so as to
reflect these distinctions. The example we will look at in this paper is the
connectionist reasoning system developed by Ajjanagadde and Shastri
(Ajjanagadde & Shastri, 1991; Shastri & Ajjanagadde, 1993). Their system
performs an interesting class of inferences using activation synchrony to
represent dynamic bindings. The rule/fact, role/filler, type/predicate
distinctions figure predominantly in the way knowledge is encoded in their
system. We will discuss some significant shortcomings this leads to. Then, we
will propose a much more uniform scheme for representing knowledge. The
resulting system enjoys some significant advantages over
Ajjanagadde & Shastri's system,  while retaining the idea of using synchrony to
represent bindings.

To retrieve the compressed postscript file, do the following:

unix> ftp archive.cis.ohio-state.edu
ftp> login: anonymous
ftp> password: [your_full_email_address]
ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
ftp> binary
ftp> get ajjanagadde.aaai94.ps.Z
ftp> bye
unix> uncompress ajjanagadde.aaai94.ps.Z
unix> lpr ajjanagadde.aaai94.ps
      (or however you print postscript)