References on speech perception modeling wanted

Thanassi Protopapas protopap at marlowe.cog.brown.edu
Fri Sep 24 14:09:03 EDT 1993

Hello, I am a graduate student at Brown in the program in Cognitive
Science and I am preparing my prelim paper on connectionist modeling
of speech perception. I already have an extensive list of references
on the issues of speech perception and on general neural net modeling,
as well as on the TRACE model and its (dis)advantages, including the
Massaro et al. papers on the FLMP. At the end of this message I list
some papers I have that deal specifically with connectionist modeling;
the extensive list of references on related topics can be found at
ftp site (log in as anonymous):
 clouseau.cog.brown.edu  (128.148.208.14)
 in directory /pub/protopapas
 in file sp_references.ps  (PostScript format only)

I would like to ask if you are aware of any recent (within the past
two years or so) attempts to model speech perception with connectionist
models. I am interested in the stages from prelexical processing of
the signal (feature detection, normalization, etc.) up to lexical
access (including representational issues and  units/segments of
processing). Please send me references at protopap at cog.brown.edu,
or, if you have some technical report that I cannot find through
the library system, I would really appreciate a copy. My postal
address is:

 Athanassios Protopapas
 Dept. of Cognitive & Linguistic Sciences
 Box 1978
 Brown University
 Providence, RI 02912
  U.S.A.

Although I'd love to know about engineering approaches of neural networks
to speech recognition, I am primarily interested in models of human speech
perception (more psychologically/cognitively motivated and oriented).

Thanks a lot in advance,

 Thanassi.

Selected references:

Elman, J. L. (1989) Connectionist approaches to acoustic/phonetic processing.
  In W. Marslen-Wilson (Ed.) Lexical representation and process, pp.227-260.
  Cambridge, MA : MIT Press

Elman, J. L. (1990) Representation and structure in connectionist models.
  In G. T. M. Altmann (Ed.) Cognitive models of speech processing, pp.345-382.
  Cambridge, MA : MIT Press

Haffner, P. & Waibel, A. (1992) Multi-state time delay neural networks for
  continuous speech recognition. Advances in neural information processing
  systems, Vol. 4, pp.135-142 Morgan Kaufman

Klatt, D. H. (1989) Review of selected models of speech perception.
  In W. Marslen-Wilson (Ed.) Lexiacal representation and process, pp.169-226.
  Cambridge, MA : MIT Press

Lippman, R. P. (1989) Review of neural networks for speech recognition.
  Neural Computation, 1, pp.1-38.

Massaro, D. W. (1992) Connectionist models of speech perception.
  In R. G. Reily & N. E. Sharkey (Eds.) Connectionist approaches to natural
  language processing, pp.321-350. Hove, UK : Lawrence Erlbaum

Massaro, D. W., & Cohen, M. M. (1991) Integration versus interactive
  activation: The joint influence of stimulus and context in perception.
  Cognitive Psychology, 23, 558-614

McClelland, J. L. & Elman, J. L. (1986) Interactive processes of speech
  perception: The TRACE model. In Parallel distributed processing, Vol. 2:
  Psychological and biological models, pp.58-121. Cambridge, MA : MIT Press

McClelland, J. L. (1991) Stochastic interactive processes and the effect
  of context on perrception. Cognitive Psychology, 23, 1-44

Norris, D. (1990) A dynamic-net model of human speech recognition.
  In G. T. M. Altmann (Ed.) Cognitive models of speech processing, pp.87-104.
  Cambridge, MA : MIT Press

Quinlan, P. (1991) Connectionism and psychology. Chicago, IL : The University
  of Chicago Press, pp.132-157

Watrous, R. L. (1990) Phoneme discrimination using connectionist networks
  The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 87(4) : 1753-1772

Weibel, A. (1989) Modular construction of time-delay neural networks for
  speech recognition. Neural Computation, 1, 39-46