CNE Review Announcement

Jean-Marc Fellous fellous at rana.usc.edu
Wed Oct 13 20:23:34 EDT 1993

	The  Center  for  Neural  Engineering
	University   of   Southern California

	   Announces The CNE Research Review
		Monday, October 18,1993

The University of Southern California has established itself as a
leader  in  linking  research  on  the  brain  to  innovations in
neurally based artificial intelligence.   The Center  for  Neural
Engineering  (CNE)  has  more  than forty faculty members in such
disciplines  as   Biomedical   Engineering,   Computer   Science,
Electrical  Engineering, Neurobiology, Neurology, Linguistics and
Psychology  engaged  in  studies  of  neural  networks  and   the
computing  style of the brain, and the design of a new generation
of  computers  and  robotic  devices  inspired  by  them.   These
professors  supervise a large number of Ph.D. candidates, offer a
broad range of graduate courses, and conduct  a  strong  research
program    supported   by   federal   funds,   foundations,   and
corporations. Research  teams  involving  faculty,  students  and
industrial  colleagues  ensure  a  healthy  flow  of  ideas among
several interrelated facets of neural  science  and  engineering,
including  fundamental  research on the brain, the simulation and
mathematical analysis of  neural  networks,  the  development  of
novel  engineering  systems based in part on neural concepts, and
the practical application of these systems.

 The CNE Research Review is designed for all who wish to  benefit
from  USC's  activities in Neural Engineering.  Our computational
analysis of the brain  leads  us  to  new  strategies  for  human
learning  and  new  weapons  in the fight against disease.  These
insights also enable us to chart new computer architectures,  and
to  develop  new  forms  of  artificial  intelligence  to  act as
intelligent  assistants  to  human   decision-makers.     Optical
computing  and  microelectronics  are  leading  us  to  the  high
bandwidth communication and massively parallel  computation  that
can  make  these  new  tools  effective and affordable on a grand
scale.

The CNE Review will present a day-long sampling of our  research.
In  particular, the meeting will celebrate the opening of two new
CNE Laboratories:  The Autonomous Robotics Laboratory and the The
Neuro-Optical   Computing   Laboratory   which   join  the  Brain
Simulation  Laboratory   in  the  Hedco  Neurosciences  Building.
During  the  day,  George  Bekey  will present an overview of our
research on autonomous robots, while  Keith  Jenkins  and  Armand
Tanguay  will  review  the  state  of  the art in our research on
optical implementation of neural networks.   Related  talks  will
include  those  by  Bing  Sheu on VLSI for Neural Networks and by
Alfredo Weitzenfeld on neural simulation  tools.   Another  major
development   we   will   celebrate   is  the  ever-strengthening
cooperation  between   CNE   and   USC's   Program   in   Neural,
Informational,   and   Behavioral  Sciences  (NIBS)  in  bringing
information technology to bear in catalyzing  new  insights  into
the  complexity  of the brain.  Scott Grafton will review our use
of PET scans to gain new insight into human brain  mechanisms  of
vision,  action  and memory; while Dennis McLeod will present our
approach  to  the  construction  of   federated   databases   for
neuroscience and other scientific applications.  The Program will
be rounded out by talks by other faculty  and  students,  student
posters, and demonstrations of hardware and software in the CNE's
Laboratories.   Members,  and  potential  members,  of  the   CNE
Industrial  Affiliates  Program will have the chance to meet with
individual  faculty  members  to  discuss  specific  topics   for
research  collaboration.   The  day  will  conclude with a Dinner
which will give CNE members and visitors from Industry and  other
Universities  a chance to reflect on the day's many presentations
and discuss areas of mutual interest in a relaxed  and  convivial
setting.

Program All talks  will  be  given  in  the  Hedco  Neurosciences
Building  Auditorium

> 8:30am:  Registration.  Hedco Neurosciences Building  Lobby
> 9:00 am: Michael A. Arbib:  Welcome  to  the  CNE
> 9:30  am:  George  Bekey:  Research on Autonomous Robots
> 10:00am: Keith  Jenkins:  Optical  Implementation  of  Neural
Networks  - Emphasis  Computing
> 10:30am:  Coffee
> 11:00am:  Armand  Tanguay: Optical Implementation of  Neural
Networks  -  Emphasis  Devices
> 11:30am:  Bing  Sheu:  VLSI  for  Neural  Networks
> 12:00am: Lunch
> 1:30pm: Alfredo Weitzenfeld: The Neural Simulation  Language  NSL
> 2:00pm: Scott Grafton: PET Scans, Functional MRI, and Human Brain
Mechanisms.
> 2:30pm:  Dennis  McLeod:  Federated  Databases  for Neuroscience
Research
> 3:00pm:   Coffee
> 3:30pm:   Laboratory Demonstrations:
Autonomous  Robotics  Laboratory;  Neuro-Optical Computing Laboratory;
Brain Simulation Laboratory.

> 6:30pm (For those who have formally registered): Evening  at  the
University Hilton
No-Host Bar followed by Dinner

Bonus Event: Workshop on Neural Architectures and Distributed  AI
For   an  extra  $50,  fully  paid  registrants  may  have  their
registration extended to include a two-day Workshop sponsored  by
the CNE to be held on the two days following the CNE Review.  The
Workshop, "Neural Architectures and Distributed AI:  From  Schema
Assemblages  to  Neural  Networks" will be held on October 19 and
20, 1993.  (The total fee for CNE Review and Workshop is $40  for
CNE  members and qualified students who include a "certificate of
student status" from their advisor.)

Note: Members of the USC community  are  welcome  to  attend  the
day's  presentations (but not the dinner) free of charge - please
obtain your free registration between 8:30 and 9:00am.

*****	Industrial Affiliates in Neural Engineering   *****

The Industrial  Affiliates  Program  of  the  Center  for  Neural
Engineering enables Industrial Affiliates to stay informed of the
latest  research  in   Neural   Engineering   and   Computational
Neurobiology  at USC, and to take part in that research, ensuring
that activities at the  University  of  Southern  California  are
responsive to the research and development needs of corporations,
and contribute to technological  competitiveness  and  technology
transfer.
Industrial  Affiliates are involved in the work of the
CNE through  the  provision  of  funding  for  both  general  and
targeted  research  projects,  through participation in research,
seminars and educational programs at USC, and through a  Visiting
Scientists  Program which enables corporate personnel to actively
participate in research at USC as well as  providing  access  for
USC  faculty  and  student  researchers  to specialized corporate
facilities  and  industrial  R&D  programs.   Over   the   years,
membership   has   included  General  Dynamics,  General  Motors,
Hitachi, Hughes, IBM, Lockheed, Matsushita, Nissan Motor Company,
NTT  Data,  Ricoh Corporation, and Rockwell International.  Basic
membership is designed to help  companies  monitor  USC's  latest
contributions  to  neural  network  technology and relate them to
their business area and products.   General  funds  are  used  to
support  workshops  and  the CNE seminar series, to contribute to
administrative costs, and to provide small amounts of seed  money
for  research projects.  Support of personnel for training at USC
is also encouraged.  Funding of workshops is one way  to  advance
this educational function.
Going further, organizations that  wish  to undertake  projects
coordinating USC research  with  their  own
ongoing  research  and  development efforts in neural engineering
make a much larger commitment.  Typically, we design  a  research
project  that  combines an application of interest to the company
with basic research issues of interest to  the  university.   The
company  pays  an  engineer to spend a year in the CNE working on
the project, and provides funds  to  cover  release  time  for  a
faculty  member  to  supervise the project, the stipend for Ph.D.
graduate students to act as research assistants for the  project,
and    general   operating   expenses.    Questions   about   the
opportunities for research cooperation with  the  CNE  should  be
addressed  to:

Michael  A.  Arbib,
Director Center for  Neural Engineering
University of Southern  California
Los  Angeles,  CA 90089-2520
(213) 740-9220 FAX (213) 740-5687
arbib at pollux.usc.edu

Accommodation Attendees  may  register  at  the  hotel  of  their
choice,  but  the  closest hotel to USC is the University Hilton,
3540 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90007, Phone:   (213)
748-4141,  Reservation:  (800)  872-1104,  Fax: (213) 7480043.  A
single room costs $70/night while a double room costs  $75/night.
Workshop  participants  must  specify  that they are "CNE Review"
attendees to avail themselves of the above  rates.    Information
on  student accommodation may be obtained from the Student Chair,
Jean-Marc Fellous, jfellous at pollux.usc.edu.

Registration The registration fee of  $100  for  the  CNE  Review
includes  a copy of the abstracts, coffee breaks, and a dinner to
be held on the evening of October 18th.  (Students may attend the
Review  for  free,  but will not be entitled to attend the dinner
unless  they  register  for  the  Workshop.)   Those  wishing  to
register  should  send  a  check  payable  to  "Center for Neural
Engineering, USC" for $100 ($150 for those also wishing to attend
the Workshop; $40 for students and CNE members) together with the
following information  to
Marrietta  Pobst,
Center  for  Neural Engineering,
University of Southern California,
University Park,
Los Angeles, CA 90089-2520, USA.

CNE  Review  Center  for Neural Engineering, USC October 18, 1992
NAME:     ___________________________________________
Please  register  me:
for the Workshop as well as the Review: YES [    ] NO  [   ]

Note: Late registrations will be accepted on the Monday  morning,
but  places  at  the  dinner  are  limited,  so  advance email to
mpobst at pollux.usc.edu would be appreciated, even if you choose to
bring your check on Monday morning.

.