TR Anouncement: exploration

Frank Smieja smieja at nathan.gmd.de
Mon Oct 11 09:32:55 EDT 1993

FTP-host: archive.cis.ohio-state.edu
FTP-file: pub/neuroprose/beyer.explore.ps.Z

The file beyer.explore.ps.Z is now available for
copying from the Neuroprose repository:

Learning from Examples using Reflective Exploration (17 pages)
U. Beyer and F. Smieja
GMD (Germany)

ABSTRACT: An important property of models constructed through the
process of learning from examples is the manipulation and control of
the data itself.  When the data is actively selected or generated the
process is known as {\it exploration}.  Reflection about the internal
model allows exploration to be more than just a random choice in the
input space.  In this paper we identify two basic forms of reflective
exploration: density-based and error-based.  We demonstrate the
applicability of exploration processes and the advantages of using
them in open systems using the task of learning a 2-dimensional
continuous function.

- Frank Smieja

Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung (GMD)
GMD-FIT.KI.AS, Schloss Birlinghoven, 53757 St Augustin, Germany.
Tel: +49 2241-142214		email: smieja at gmd.de