The sigmoid is the poserior distribution from Gaussian likelihoods

Jack Cowan cowan at synapse.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 22 12:26:39 EDT 1992

Geoff: Apropos Dan Levine's remarks, I introduced the sigmoid in 1965
at the Wiener Memorial Meeting in Genoa, as a smooth approximation to
the firing rate vs current curve of a single neuron with a shot noise
input. (Published in 1968-71).  Later with Hugh Wilson in 1972, 1973
we redefined the sigmoid as arising in a population of neurons with
varying thresholds as the integral of a unimodal probability density.

Jack Cowan