paper in neuroprose

mclennan@cs.utk.edu mclennan at cs.utk.edu
Wed Oct 14 15:05:39 EDT 1992

               **DO NOT FORWARD TO OTHER GROUPS**

The following technical report has been placed in the Neuroprose
archives at Ohio State (filename: maclennan.fieldcompbrain.ps.Z).
Ftp instructions follow the abstract.  The uncompressed file is
large (1.36 MBytes).

                 Field Computation in the Brain

                         Bruce MacLennan
                   Computer Science Department
                     University of Tennessee
                       Knoxville, TN 37996
                      maclennan at cs.utk.edu

                   Technical Report CS-92-174

                            ABSTRACT:

We begin with a brief consideration of the *topology of
knowledge*.  It has traditionally been assumed that true
knowledge must be represented by discrete symbol structures, but
recent research in psychology, philosophy and computer science
has shown the fundamental importance of *subsymbolic* information
processing, in which knowledge is represented in terms of very
large numbers -- or even continua -- of *microfeatures*.  We
believe that this sets the stage for a fundamentally new theory
of knowledge, and we sketch a theory of continuous information
representation and processing.  Next we consider *field computa-
tion*, a kind of continuous information processing that
emphasizes spatially continuous *fields* of information.  This is
a reasonable approximation for macroscopic areas of cortex and
provides a convenient mathematical framework for studying infor-
mation processing at this level. We apply it also to a linear-
systems model of dendritic information processing.  We consider
examples from the visual cortex, including Gabor and wavelet
representations, and outline field-based theories of sensorimotor
intentions and of model-based deduction.

Presented at the 1st Appalachian Conference on Behavioral Neuro-
dynamics: Processing in Biological Neural Networks, in conjunc-
tion with the Inaugural Ceremonies for the Center for Brain
Research and Informational Sciences, Radford University, Radford
VA, September 17-20, 1992.

                  -----------------------------
                        FTP INSTRUCTIONS

Either use the Getps script, or do the following:

     unix> ftp archive.cis.ohio-state.edu (or 128.146.8.52)
     Name: anonymous
     Password: <your e-mail address>
     ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
     ftp> binary
     ftp> get maclennan.fieldcompbrain.ps.Z
     ftp> quit
     unix> uncompress maclennan.fieldcompbrain.ps.Z
     unix> lpr -s maclennan.fieldcompbrain.ps
      (or however you print large postscript files)

If you need hardcopy, then send your request to:

                       library at cs.utk.edu

     Bruce MacLennan
     Department of Computer Science
     107 Ayres Hall