Analysis of Time Sequences

Manoel Fernando Tenorio tenorio at ecn.purdue.edu
Mon Aug 26 11:56:18 EDT 1991

--------
The other methods more commonly used for temporal phenomena are:
1. memorize delayed inputs
2. recursion (state, input, output)
3. sliding time window
4. Hysteresis

The first 3 require the knowledge of the size of the time dependence, and are
fixed, although Weigend has recently shown that for prediction problems,
this is not a big problem since large than necessary windows work.

-- M. F. Tenorio
--- Your message of: Friday,08/23/91 ---
   From:  mike at ailab.EUR.NL
   Subject:  Analysis of Time Sequences

   Dear Connectionists,

   I am working in a project where we want to use a neural network for
   online analysis of sequences of sensor measurements over discrete
   time steps to detect abnormalities as soon as possible.
   The obvious thing to me to handle the problem of time would be to,
   at a given time t, look back a fixed number of n time steps and
   analyze the points from time t-n to t.
   Now, I would like to know what alternative approaches for dealing with
   time sequences there are.
   Could anybody please give me any references on that topic?

   Thank you in advance,

   Michael Tepp
   mike at ailab.eur.nl
--- end of message ---