Synchronization Binding? Freq. Locking? Bursting?

Thomas VLSI Edwards tedwards at wam.umd.edu
Wed Aug 21 15:21:24 EDT 1991

I have just read "Synchronized Oscillations During Cooperative
Feature Linking in a Cortical Model of Visual Perception"
(Grossberg, Somers, Neural Networks Vol. 4 pp 453-466).
It describes some models of phase-locking (supposedly neuromorphic)
relaxation oscillators, including a cooperative bipole coupling which
appears similar to the Kammen comparator model, and fits into BCS
theory.

I am curious at this date what readers of connectionists think about
the theory that syncrhonous oscillations reflect the binding of local
feature detectors to form coherent groups.  I am also curious as to
whether or not phase-locking of oscillators is a reasonable model
of the phenomena going on, or whether synchronized bursting, yet
not frequency-locked oscillation, is a more biologically acceptable
answer.

Incidently, my current work involves VLSI circuits which perform
a partitionable phase-locking of multiple oscillators using a method
similar to the "comparator model."  (Circuit fabricated,
technical report in preparation).  The figures in Grossberg's
paper look much like the responses of my oscillators, so I'll take
that as an ecouraging sign.

-Thomas Edwards
 tedwards at avw.umd.edu