$$ for TR's

Rik Belew rik%cs at ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 25 13:49:03 EDT 1989

	From fjcp60!golds at uunet.UU.NET Wed Oct 25 04:22:14 1989
	To: uunet!cs.ucsd.edu!rik
	Subject: tech report

	I think it is very unfortunate you require payment for the distribution
	of your tech report.  This is contrary to the spirit of free exchange
	of information embodied in the connectionists mailing list.  For
	individuals like myself who are not currently supported by a grant, or who
	don't work in a department rich in grant funds, the imposition of fees raises
	a real barrier to obtaining access research results.  Other authors have found
	ways to provide copies of reports free of charge, and/or have placed a
	postscript version of their reports on the public archive machine for free
	FTP access.  I would really appreciate it if you could pursue one of these
	alternate methods of distribution.  Thanks...

	Dr. R. Goldschmidt
	golds at fjcp60.uu.net

	2227 Greenwich St.
	Falls Church, VA 22043

I couldn't agree more, and you are not the only one to have
expressed surprise/bemusement/anger at a charge for a TR.  And
I feel very silly mentioning it, too.  But that happens to be
how our department has established the TR distribution procedure
and I'm not flush enough to cover all the costs.  But for those
of you for whom $3 is an impediment I will keep sending copies
out gratis until my money runs out.
	Also, I too think Jordan Pollack's "TR server" of Postscript
files is first rate.  But it happens that my TR has lots of figures
that I haven't been able to successfully fold into the TeX source,
and I decided the text needed these figures.  (And the department
would charge $3 to send just them out!)  But my goal is to have
a fully Postscript file, next time.
	I apologize for taking up everyone's time with this
silliness.
	Rik Belew