Looking for references on connectionism and Protein Structure

Terry Sejnowski <terry@cs.jhu.edu> terry
Thu Oct 27 09:19:18 EDT 1988

The best existing method for predicting the secondary structure
of a globular protein is a neural network:

Qian, N. and Sejnowski, T. J. (1988) Predicting the secondary
structure of globular proteins using neural network models.
Journal of Molecular Biology 202, 865-884.

Our results also indicate that only marginal improvements
on our performance will be possible with local methods.

Tertiary (3-D) structure is a much more difficult problem
for which there are no good methods.

Terry

-----