[AI Seminar] AI Seminar sponsored by Fortive on Feb 25 (NSH 3305) -- Devendra Chaplot -- Learning to Explore using Active Neural SLAM

Aayush Bansal aayushb at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 24 07:23:28 EST 2020

Devendra Chaplot will be giving a seminar on "Learning to Explore using
Active Neural SLAM" from *12:00 - 01:00 PM* on Feb 25 in Newell Simon Hall
(NSH) 3305.

CMU AI Seminar is sponsored by Fortive. Lunch will be served.

Following are the details of the talk:

*Title: *Learning to Explore using Active Neural SLAM

*Abstract: *In this talk, I will present a modular and hierarchical
approach to learn policies for exploring 3D environments, called `Active
Neural SLAM'. Our approach leverages the strengths of both classical and
learning-based navigation methods, by using analytical path planners with
learned SLAM module, and global and local policies. The use of learning
provides flexibility with respect to input modalities (in the SLAM module),
leverages structural regularities of the world (in global policies), and
provides robustness to errors in state estimation (in local policies). Such
use of learning within each module retains its benefits, while at the same
time, hierarchical decomposition and modular training allow us to sidestep
the high sample complexities associated with training end-to-end policies.
Our experiments in visually and physically realistic simulated 3D
environments demonstrate the effectiveness of our approach over past
learning and geometry-based approaches. The proposed model can also be
easily transferred to the PointGoal task and was the winning entry of CVPR
2019 Habitat Navigation Challenge.

*Bio*: Devendra Singh Chaplot is a Ph.D. student in the Machine Learning
Department at Carnegie Mellon University working with Prof. Ruslan
Salakhutdinov. His research interests lie at the intersection of Machine
Learning, Computer Vision and Robotics. He has led the design of several AI
systems which won the CVPR-2019 Habitat Navigation Challenge and the
Visual-Doom AI Competition 2017. Chaplot is a recipient of Facebook
Fellowship Award and his research has received Best Paper and Best Demo
awards at leading AI conferences. His research has also been featured in
several popular media outlets such as MIT Technology Review, TechCrunch,
Engadget, Popular Science, Kotaku, and Daily Mail. Before joining CMU,
Chaplot received his Bachelor's degree in Computer Science from IIT Bombay.

To learn more about the seminar series, please visit the website
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

--
Aayush Bansal
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aayushb/